Monday, April 25, 2011

SUper Friends Brayer Challenge -- Mission Accomplished!

Hi, everyone!  Hope you had a wonderful Easter weekend!  I was hoping to pop in and post over the weekend, but we were away camping the last part of the week, and when we returned, had to finish preparations for Easter plus try to catch up on the mountain of laundry we managed to create on our trip (still working on that, but almost done)! 

Anyway, I wanted to share with you a creation that I finished up right before our trip, as well as some related creations by my SUper Friends team members.  These cards came about as a result of a request one of my SUper Friends had at one of our last meetings.  She wanted to learn more about using the brayer.  So, each of us who was there made a brayered piece -- we started by braying some Daffodil Delight onto Whisper White Card Stock, then added some Tangerine Tango and some Melon Mambo.  We finished by flicking some water on it to give it a fun look -- almost like the card stock had been in the rain.  Then, I challenged everyone to take the piece home and make something with it. 

Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of my piece before I started experimenting with it.  I was going to try to make an egg or two out of it using the Oval Scallop Frame Die for the Big Shot, but wasn't happy with how that looked.   Here is one of the eggs I created -- I stamped butterflies on it from the Clearly for You set -- and actually had cut one out after I decided I wasn't going to make it into anything else:


Next, I decided I'd use my brayered piece to paper piece the egg shell onto the chick in the A Good Egg set.  I was much happier with how that turned out.  And, eventually, that developed into this card:



Here's a close up so you can see the chick's shell a little better:

The base for the card is Regal Rose.  The designer paper behind the chick is actually printed out from the Oh Sew Digital Download for My Digital Studio.  (I love being able to do that and create "hybrid" cards!)  I layered that piece onto a piece of Melon Mambo Card Stock.  

The little butterfly is created from a piece of Pretty in Pink Card Stock that I ran through the Big Shot in the Beautiful Wings Embosslit.  I added a Pearl Basic Jewel to the center for a little bit of bling.

The scallop border and punched piece on the side are all pieces of Regal Rose Card Stock that were punched out with a cool new Triple Layer Punch that will be available from the new Summer Mini Catalog on May 1st!   
My SUper Friends team member Agnes Lang created this fun card, using her brayered piece, the Forest Friends stamp set, clouds punched from the Cupcake Punch, and a greeting from the A Good Egg stamp set:

I think she did a great job creating a dreamy looking card out of my challenging color combo!  And, don't you love the way Agnes used the Decorative Label Punch, punched twice, to create a great shape for the greeting? 

My team member Christina Tan decided to create a new brayered piece using the same technique, but with a color scheme that matches the beautiful Paisley Prints Designer Paper (which you can still get until Apr. 30th as part of the Spring is Blossoming Sneak Peek Promotion . . . otherwise, you'll have to wait until the new Idea Book comes out in July!).  Here's the elegant card Christina made:



Christina created stencils with a circle punch and with the Two-Step Bird Punch, and then inked inside those to create the bird, branch and sun on her card (yet another creative way you can use punches!!!).  Christina also added some sparkle to the bird with shimmer paint -- a bit hard to capture in the photo -- even more beautiful in real life!

  Hope you enjoyed these creations, too!  Thanks, Agnes and Christina for letting me share your beautiful artwork! 

And, thank you for stopping by!

- Michelle





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea for creating simple backgrounds, Michelle! Thank you for explaining the process and then adding the samples too. What fun!!! Marlene Caravello